Friday, November 9, 2007

Bijeljina Here I Come

Tomorrow I'm off to Bijeljina, which is just over the border in Bosnia-Herzegovina. I'm not quite sure what to expect from this town of 65,000 people. It is located within the Republic of Srpska entity of Bosnia, so I'm presuming it's probably not that much different from what I'm used to seeing in Serbia itself. A quick Internet search seems to indicate there's only one tourist attraction in Bijeljina - that being an ethno-village. But we'll have to see once I get there!

You may or may not be wondering why on earth I'm travelling to Bijeljina, I mean it's not exactly a tourist hot-spot. In my previous post I was on a rant about visas. I'm going to Bijeljina because of exactly that. I don't have a residency visa for Serbia....yet. I'm legally allowed to stay in Serbia for 90 days from the date of the entry stamp in my passport. Those 90 days are up and therefore I'm popping over the border for 3 hours until the next bus back to Belgrade departs. I just hope it isn't the same border guard who sees me leave Serbia only to return three hours later - that odd British guy, what's he up to? Smuggling cigarettes, alcohol or worse? ;-)

Nah, I'm not bothered. I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing a new town and I love any excuse to visit Bosnia! I won't be spending my time there sitting in the bus station cafe! Pictures and details of what I got up to when I get back.



Subscribe to Balkan File

No comments: